Monday, October 10, 2011

Wiring

Three years ago my workplace learned that the old wiring in our building needed to be replaced. The cost would be pretty big, but would have to be done eventually or we could face something terrible happening.

That was three years ago. Was anything done about it? Of course not. Leaders instead chose to focus on petty drama and drag out other issues instead of focusing on something that needed to be fixed sooner rather than later.

On my way into work this morning I received a phone call from our receptionist stating that we were going to be without power for 2-3 days because the older portion of our building (where my office is) was having issues--half of the space had power, the other half did not. We would have computers and phone via extension cords connected to the newer part of the building, but we would not have overhead lights. If we wanted lights, we would have to find table or floor lamps and plug them in.

All I can think of is how we could have avoided this if we would have made the changes that were deemed necessary three years ago. I guess hindsight is 20/20, huh?

Sometimes changes need to be made to avoid chaos. Yes, they are costly and scary when you think about all the work that is involved in them, but when change is postponed or in some cases ignored completely, you are only delaying the inevitable.

I thought about this in comparison with my own recent decision to make changes in my life. Sure, I'm scared to death. But if I don't make this change, I'm scared that I'll hit a point of no return and wonder why I didn't change the wiring when I had the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!