Monday, June 21, 2010

Will You?

Today we had Thomas' baptism at our church. It was great to be back with our church family. We haven't been  back since I started my maternity leave after Thomas was born. It was also wonderful to have family and friends with us on our special day. Mitch and Andrew, two of Josh's best friends, came with their significant others. My parents and my mom's husband Bill, the Henleys, Josh's sister, Val, and my maternal grandparents. It was quite a crowd!

The service was amazing. With our family and friends, Josh and I promised to raise Thomas in a Christian home and our church family promised to serve as his Christian home. This liturgy has always made me tear up when I think about the promise we make to infants and new believers. Today it was even more powerful as we made that commitment to our son.

To the Parents:
Will you nurture Thomas
in Christ's holy church,
that by your teaching and example they may be guided
to accept God's grace for themselves,
to profess their faith openly,
and to lead a Christian life?
We will. 

The pastor addresses the congregation:
Do you, as Christ's body, the church,
reaffirm both your rejection of sin
and your commitment to Christ?
We do. 

Will you nurture one another in the Christian faith and life and include Thomas now before you in your care?
With God's help we will proclaim the good news
and live according to the example of Christ.
We will surround this child
with a community of love and forgiveness,
that he may grow in his service to others.
We will pray for him
that he may be a true disciple
who walk in the way that leads to life.

  
  
So today is the beginning of Thomas' Christian journey and we can't wait to see where it leads him. I don't know how he'll go--maybe he'll stay on a straight path like his daddy, or maybe he'll veer like me. All I know is he has an amazing group of people looking out for him.
   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!